At exp, we know that great experiences start with the right people. We believe that work should be challenging, and the challenge should be fun. We also believe that exponential possibilities are more likely to occur with a respectful, satisfying and empowering company. We value and respect our employees - their experience and expertise as well as their energy, passion and diversity - and their innovative approach to work and to life.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Technology Design Engineer/Designer 3 to work in a flexible role that includes engineering, design and specification of building technology and communication systems for high profile, Healthcare, Science, and Hospitality Projects. Work will be performed under supervision of senior staff. Exp's Technology Design department specializes in the design and specification of structured cabling systems, audio/visual systems, security systems and other Extra Low Voltage (ELV) systems.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills are required. Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task in support of multiple projects is essential.
- Ability to work virtually and communicate efficiently across geographies with multiple project teams.
- Thorough knowledge of BICSI and Infocomm standards and other codes.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the following:
- Structured Cabling Systems (Voice/ Data Cabling)
- Audio/Visual Systems (Background Music/ Overhead Paging Systems, Conference/ Ballroom/ Boardroom A/V and control systems)
- Security Systems (Surveillance Systems, Physical Access Control Systems, Intrusion Detection Systems)
- Other Communication Technology Systems (Nurse Call, Distributed Antenna Systems, Real Time Location Service System, etc)
- Ability to attend client meeting with client stakeholders and architects to discuss project requirements, design concepts and system expectations.
- Understand proper scope of SD, DD, CD level documents - and deliver appropriate documentation.
- REVIT and AutoCAD proficient.
- Edit and develop scope of work narratives (Basis of Design, etc.)
- Develop equipment room sizes during SD and DD phases.
- Prepare calculations of equipment electrical loads and cooling loads.
- Edit low voltage electrical specifications with limited input from senior staff.
- Edit specifications to reflect project requirements.
- Coordinate with vendors to determine specification requirements for application.
- Read and interpret related industry codes and standards (e.g. NEC, FGI), and incorporate into designs.
- Prepare floor plans showing low voltage device layouts, cable pathways, equipment, etc.
- Prepare system riser diagrams with limited input from senior staff.
- Select and schedule equipment with limited oversight from senior staff.
- Performs field verification and take-offs of existing systems for renovation projects.
- Coordinate with other disciplines (MEPFP, Architectural, Structural, etc.)
- Understand and properly apply existing exp details relevant to projects
- Apply risk management procedures to minimize exp's and client's exposure to problems.
- Work with senior engineers, PM and client to meet scheduled milestones on multiple projects.
- Understand work planning and manage design process to the available hours in the work plan.
- Respond to RFI's for the project, and accurately review submittal with limited input from senior staff.
- Manage and deliver revisions (ASI's, etc) and sketches according to proper numbering convention
- Inspect installation of systems for completeness and operability.
- Solve installation problems with low voltage electrical systems, travel to site to resolve issues.
The Skills and Knowledge You Bring
- Minimum of five years design experience of Healthcare, Bio-Tech, and/or Hospitality projects.
- BS in architecture or engineering discipline from an accredited school, or equivalent experience.
- BICSI RCDD certification required.
- Ability to travel to client meetings and project sites for walk thru activities (local and national locations)
- Ability to work virtually cross-office geographies with multiple teams
What exp Can Offer
With a mission to understand, innovate, partner and deliver, exp provides professional, technical and strategic services related to the world's built and natural environments in six key practice areas: Buildings, Earth & Environment, Energy, Industrial, Infrastructure, and Sustainability. Our heritage dates back to 1906, when the earliest of exp's predecessor companies started its engineering infrastructure practice in northern Ontario. Today, close to 3,000 creative exp professionals across North America and around the globe provide the expertise and experience needed to deliver successful projects for clients.
Our promise is to offer you a challenging career in a positive and dynamic work environment, and it's a promise we take seriously.
Join a dynamic team at exp that provides you with innovative projects, the capacity to develop your career, a full range of benefits, flexible working hours, and much more! When you explore what exp has to offer, you'll find exponential possibilities.
For more information, visit exp.com.
Exp U.S. Services is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran.